How do I register a Birth?

All parents should register the birth of their child within a 3 month period.  Registrations are dealt with by the Vital Statistics Unit, within the Civil Registration Division of the Ministry of Justice. The cost is $10.00 TOP and a Certificate of Live Birth (provided by the hospital) is required.  The Registry (Fale Lesisita Fa’ele, Pekia, Mali) is located opposite Talamahu Market and can be contacted on Telephone No: 23599

How do I register a Birth after the 3 month grace period?

Any registration made outside of the 3 month grace period will require an application for a Late Registration of Birth at the Supreme Court Registry. Applications can be made any day of the week, during Registry hours (Monday to Friday 8.30am – 12.30pm & 1.30pm – 3.30pm).

Late registrations will require a fee of $16.00 for the Application, a Search Fee of $10.00 TOP and the following paperwork in support;

  • Certificate of Live Birth from the hospital
  • Marriage Certificate of the parents
  • Letter of Application
  • Affidavit of natural mother (in illegitimate cases) or either parent (in legitimate cases), including reasons for late registrationvery seldom

All affidavits must be sworn. To swear an affidavit at the Supreme Court Registry will cost $10.00 per affidavit.

What else do I need to know about Registering a Birth in Tonga?

  • Births in the outer Islands of ‘Eua, Ha’apai, Vava’u and the Niuas can be registered in sub-registries at local Fale Lesisita Fa’ele, Pekia, Mali. Grace periods and fees remain the same.
  • If a Certificate of Live Birth is unavailable from the hospital, an affidavit from the midwife should be provided. Failing that, an affidavit should be provided from the owner of the premises on which the birth occurred, or from a relative, friend or neighbor who saw the mother and child shortly after the birth and can give a fair estimation of the date of birth.
  • Further evidence for late registrations of older children can be supported by letters from the town officer, their school, or Church Minister
  • Further information can be provided from Registry Staff upon request
Close Menu