- Phone number: (+676)23599
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Court of Appeal hears all appeals from the Supreme Court and from the Land Court except appeals from the Land Court relating to the determination of hereditary estates and titles (clause 92 of the Constitution).
There is no right of appeal from the decisions of the Court of Appeal. It is the highest court in the Kingdom except in respect of appeals from the Land Court on matters concerning hereditary estates and titles. Those appeals are heard by His Majesty in Privy Council.
The Court of Appeal sits at Nuku’alofa twice a year for up to two weeks each session. The sessions are usually in March/April and September. The rulings of the Court are delivered at the end of each session.
There is a panel of Judges of the Court of Appeal. The Judges are appointed by His Majesty in Privy Council (clause 85 of the Constitution).
All Court of Appeal Judges are presently appointed on fixed term contracts. The selection of which Judges will sit during each session of the Court is made by the Lord President of the Court of Appeal (often in consultation with the Vice President).
The Lord President of the Court of Appeal is Lord President Hon. Michael H. Whitten QC. The Vice President is Hon. Justice Kenneth Handley.
The overseas Judges sitting on the Court of Appeal from time to time are:
- Hon. Justice Michael Moore (Australia);
- Hon. Justice Kenneth Handley (Australia);
- Hon. Justice Sir Peter Blanchard (New Zealand);
- Hon. Justice Rodney Hansen (New Zealand).
Please click on the link below to view judgements.
- Judgmennt AC17-18 Kautoke vs PSC
- Judgment AC1-19 Warner vs Yalu & Ors
- Judgment AC8-18 Uhi vs KOT
- Judgment AC10-18 Fonua & Anor vs Fonua & Ors
- Judgment AC11-18 Heamani Lopeti vs Rex
- Judgment AC12-18 Siaosi Helu vs Rex
- Judgment AC13-18 Pekipaki vs Moimoi & Anor
- Judgment AC14-18 Pua’a vs Lavemai
- Judgment AC15-18 Friendly Island Satelite Telecommunications Ltd vs PSA & Pohiva & KOT
- Judgment AC16 of 2018 Siokatame Tupou vs Rex
- Judgment AC18-18 Kaufusi vs Veatupu & Ors
- Judgment AC19-18 Rex vs ‘Atoa
- Judgment AC19-18 Rex vs Loleini Ala
- Judgment AC20-18 Rex vs Fukofuka
- Judgment AC22-18 Dexing Construction Co Ltd vs Fua
- Judgment AC23-18 Rex vs Maika Maile